Dr Rice graduated from the University of Adelaide in 1999 and completed surgical residency in Adelaide, before undertaking training in cardiothoracic surgery at Flinders Medical Centre, Adelaide, and at Westmead Hospital and Children’s Hospital Westmead, Sydney, from 2005 to 2010. During this time, he completed a Master of Surgery research higher degree at Flinders University.
In 2010 and 2011, Dr Rice was a senior clinical fellow in cardiac surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, USA, where he gained experience in complex cardiac surgery and minimally invasive valve surgery. He returned to Adelaide in 2012 and was appointed as a staff specialist in cardiothoracic surgery at Flinders Medical Centre in July 2012. In 2015, he and Professor Jayme Bennetts established Adelaide Cardiothoracic.
Dr Rice undertakes a wide range of cardiac and thoracic surgical procedures, including coronary artery surgery, valve replacement and repair (including minimally invasive procedures), aortic surgery, atrial arrhythmia surgery, and both open and video-assisted thoracic surgery. He has a particular interest in surgery for complex aortic disease, and in 2017 he established the Aortic Multidisciplinary Team at Flinders Medical Centre, working with vascular surgeons and other specialists in the management of patients with aortic aneurysms.
Dr Rice also undertakes regular visits to Darwin to perform thoracic surgery at Royal Darwin Hospital and to provide consultations for patients with both cardiac and thoracic conditions.
He is a member of the Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He was supervisor of training at Flinders Medical Centre from 2012 to 2021.
Surgical services are undertaken at:
- Flinders Medical Centre
- Ashford Hospital
- Calvary Adelaide Hospital
- Flinders Private Hospital
- Royal Darwin Hospital
- MBBS – Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Adelaide
- MS – Master of Surgery, Flinders University
- FRACS – Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- FANZSCTS – Fellow, Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons
- Member – Board of Studies, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Member – Clinical Advisory Board, Medtronic Australia-Pacific
- Consultant – Edwards Lifesciences Australia